Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The language that is called French

Yes, after aeons I have started learning french. For a long time , I was thinking of learning French but given the hectic nature of my job or probably my time mismanagement, I couldn't pursue it. Recession, yes recession ,came as a saviour. The work load decreased and my working days reduced from six-seven to 5 days a week and there was no requirement of slogging till 7 or eight in evening. Yes and yes , I was alive yet again.I heard life calling me.....

I enrolled myself at the Alliance Francaise de Delhi last month (march 2009) for pursuing A1 level course in French. Initially, I was very sckeptical about the Institue as the method of communication and teaching is French with no English allowed there .The teachers would reply in French even if you question in English but being the the most authentic and popular place for learning french, I decided to go ahead with it.

The first two weeks were quite eventful.For the first time in my life, I empathized with nursery children who start learning English.I can now confess that it is a difficult task to learn a new language. As one has poor vocabulary in beginning,it is almost impossible to decipher what is being asked. The only answers that one has are oui madame ( yes mam ) and non madame ( no mam ).To compound one's problems , French has masculine and feminine form of adjectives as well as articles , so the problems of using correct verbs with correct gender of adjectives and articles is a bit tricky , atleast for beginners .As a result , funny instances arise in classes.
Ha ha ha ....but don't laugh on anybody as you may land in same position the next time but honestly it feels great to be in nursey again; to relive your life.

Almost five weeks have passed ( in which I bunked two weeks for a trek) and I can say that I am not absolutely zero in French now , I can atleast figure out the parts of speech in French. Yeah....it's better to understand the sentence than to reproduce sounds like monkeys. I have a test on 10May for A1 level ...lets see what happens ....

No comments: